Saturday 10 October 2009

Ear Sofa




More of a first for me, in terms of recording and posting a blog on something I have seen in the same day, but Baldessari's piece currently on show at Spruth Magers Berlin in London seduced me into it. Furthermore I am hardly an expert on his history if work....
Nonetheless the performance piece, entitled as 'Ear Sofa: Nose Sconces with Flowers (In Stage Setting)' is basically an elegant women dressed to the nines, clad in what appears to be Christian Laboutin heels (note red soles). She sits on the white 'ear sofa' with her white sidekick tiara sporting poodle (note poodle has a rather threatening stare - go to the window and as your eyes lock you will see what I mean!). She sips champagne, has the odd luxury chocolate and appears to be reading a copy of Vogue - cover to cover. Occasionally she engages with the public. Of course the viewer is instantly drawn to the woman in the heaven-like room. And I must I admit, though the crowds may not have helped, I failed to notice the flowers were actually sitting inside these nose like 'sconces', and then you start to see Baldessari's influence and play on the surrealists..Of course by choosing the nose, the ear Baldessari subtly highlights the lesser favoured parts of the face.


A screen composed of circular dots (a common feature in his work) hangs in the window, a sort of blind if you will separating the woman inside, and is a small detail but still has a strength for me. I also think it is really refreshing to see Baldessari's conceptual work continue to intrigue and carry weight !

No comments:

Post a Comment