Monday 3 August 2009

Wallflower II


I only learned the whereabouts of the obscure gallery come converted Power Station known as The Wapping Project in order to see Deborah Turbeville show: "The Narrative Works 1974 - 1996” in 2006.
Somehow the dripping sounds and slightly run down nature of the building, ignoring the classy restaurant upstairs, seemed suitable. The most interesting thing of all for me were the size of the works. The image above was huge practically life size, it was hung somewhere in the middle of the space if my memory serves me correctly. There were excerpts from someone as well - I have my notes somewhere I am sure.
But her dreamlike images for me remain so unpretentious as far as Fashion photography is concerned and I prefer not to put them into a category. I love the fact she often creates a narrative, that she uses interesting women of all sizes, they are not your run of the mill model, they often appear lost in thought.

Though you could compare her to Sarah Moon - I fear that you cannot. I find more of a clarity in her work perhaps due to the lighter tones and obvious fact that Turbeville uses sharper focus. Having said they ironically remain more mysterious.

I have searched so long for information and books on Turbeville, to no avail. Until I stumbled on a vintage bookshop this weekend and found an imperfect, but all the more precious copy of Wallflower.

No comments:

Post a Comment