Monday 6 July 2009

Russian Rediscovery


I discovered Alexander Grinberg's work a few years ago at a Russian Photographer's exhibition (Somerset House) and jotted his name down along with the various titles of work that took my fancy. Sadly the blurred shots I took on my phone have all but disappeared, that's by the by. Nonetheless I was happy to stumble across a very substantial archive of his work online.

Grinberg lies somewhere between the soft and nostalgic charm of a Tichy (particularly these images), and Bellocq's nudes. His portraits however appear sharper in quality and the focus/ composition could be compared with a Sander.

Personally I am drawn to his attempts at capturing and the play on Movement within a medium so deeply about the one, still fixed image.

Antique Theatre in Russian Estate

Art of Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment